Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Beach Scene Party Backdrop


This year's "Luau" themed prom is being held in the cafeteria. I want to transform the space so it didn't feel like the same place my students stood with lunch trays a few hours earlier, but in order to do that, I have to hide the serving area where those trays are pushed in front of each course of their meal. Four 8 foot X 4 foot panels are enough to do the trick. This year, I didn't have much time to really spend on a detailed painting, so I just took the vinyl that I used last year to paint black and white movie star images on the white side, and flipped it over to the side people would use for wall paper. I stapled it to the sides of my wooden panels, stretching it a little as I went. The color was the same pale tan that I saw in so many beach scenes, that it was just a matter of making a horizon line of painter's tape across the middle of each panel and having students roll "sky blue" paint across the top, while I followed behind blending white paint with a brush, along the horizon, and darker blue along the top. 
A small turquoise ocean with a little white foam on the edges, followed by scrubbing rounded fluffs of white, mixed with some blue to create clouds and viola! We've got a very simple backdrop to a lot of other, fun, beach themed decorations. It only took a couple of hours to make, but I think looking at the beach every day, leading up to prom has helped me feel a little happier and more relaxed.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment