Saturday, July 10, 2021

Summer Program for Visually Impaired


The three month summer for teachers is a myth. I finish my  post-planning in June and start pre-planning in July. So it would stand to reason that I would want every week possible to recover between school years, but I can never say "no" to working the school's summer program. It gives me a week to get to know students outside the classroom and to get to see them have experiences that they may not ever have if they didn't come.

My visually impaired students touching a turtle at a petting zoo

This year's theme was literacy, and I was one of the two literacy teachers who taught daily classes to three groups. I loved helping students gain writing skills through teaching character development, transitions, and how to write a good hook. I was really impressed at how much they cared about their fictional characters from an innocent mother in prison to a Parisian teen in Nazi occupied France, who falls for the enemy. They were able to come up with some really powerful opening paragraphs and played with changing the tense and point of view on each one.


But there were lots of opportunities for real life, hands-on, fun activities such as going to the petting zoo, swimming in the pool, playing air hockey, "blind table tennis," disc golf, and riding pedal cars.

We had field trips to a rock wall and to a Macon Bacon baseball game with all you can eat food.  It has been such a hard school year with COVID hanging over every day and every activity. The summer program was like breathing fresh air again with getting back to normal life.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment