Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Line Play and Monotype Prints

 

As we continue to explore line as an element of art, my younger students drew lines in chalk on the patio outside my classroom. They used yarn on a flannel board to create pictures. 

They also drew lines into finger paint. But instead of working on paper, I put the finger paint on a piece of plexiglass and children drew lines with their fingers on that. Those with sensory issues (which is most of my multiple complex needs students) drew with a Q-tip. Then we gently placed a piece of paper on top and pulled it back up. The paint was squishy enough that rubbing the back of the paper just made everything into a big blob. I could give the students a chance to work longer and more intentionally on the plastic before committing, and it was a chance to discuss monotypes and ghost images in printmaking.


Students also used tempera paint to draw their lines onto the plexiglass, or yarn, dipped into paint to lay on the plexi before making a print.

 The majority of the students who did this assignment have multiple complex needs; they can't speak, and can't see. So, even though the under-drawing and some of the monotype images aren't focusing on line as much as I had hoped, I'm happy that they are exploring media and working as independently as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment