Saturday, December 7, 2019

Screen Printed Note Cards

note cards I made by screen printing with a paper stencil of a bird

It's always a good idea to keep note cards on hand for last minute invites, "thank you"s, and "thinking of you"s. They also make nice gifts if you bundle a set of five or ten, and that's what I did last year for my family members.  Once I came up with the idea, it was easy to cut paper stencils, tape them on the back of a silk screen, print them onto pieces of card stock, and tie with ribbon in stacks with matching envelopes.
Student image of bird on a branch. We used special heat sensitive ink that disappears when you touch it.


The white of the paper becomes the white of the penguin.
For my students this year, I emailed my friend Matt Forrest images of student bird drawings, and he created screens for them.  We then used paper stencils for a second run, so my students could learn how to print two colors on the same image.


We had an assembly line. One student put the card stock down, one lowered the screen and printed, a 3rd removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment