Friday, January 5, 2024

Vision by Touch: Art Exhibit by Blind High School Students

It has been 11 years since I've had my last solo art exhibition, which also happened to be my first semester teaching at the Academy for the Blind. All of my creative energy has been dedicated to my students, but it's been interesting to realize that I'm every bit as excited about the current exhibit I curated for my students as I was, in the past, for my solo shows. Helping others realize their potential is essential to me realizing my potential. I love to see those kids shine!


I teach Kindergarten through 12th grade, and over half of my students have disabilities beyond blindness. This requires small class sizes, which means we produce much less work then schools with hundreds of art students. The limitations of my ten high school art students haven't kept us from having two exhibits and an art sale within three months, and this show is one I'm especially proud of.


The show consisted of the Braille book sculptures, wooden sculptures, small clay heads, quilled magazine pieces, a couple of caulk paintings on canvas ,and oil pastel drawings. Six assignments in six weeks, for all to see. 


My husband spent a Saturday morning helping me hang the show.  How I adore him!


The pedestal pieces in the middle of the room stole the show, but white shelves also provided a nice space to cluster work. I love the white on white aesthetic, it feels like the look of serious art.

I managed to snap a few pictures of my students taking in the show before the opening reception began.


Friends, family, colleagues, professors, and college students all turned out for the reception! I gave a slide lecture; we had live music performed by a middle school teacher (Chance Mormon), and we snacked on refreshments. They got a taste of success a long with their treats, which will motivate them in the future to take assignments seriously and make art worth sharing. When they succeed, I succeed.

The show runs through January.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment