Friday, March 18, 2016

The Charlie Brown-iest Sets


Our school is putting on a production of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown!" We are excited and it was very important to me to make the sets as true to the style of Charles Schultz, as I could.









Here's what I did. Because we have four 8' X 4' panels, I cut out a piece of paper that was twice as long at it was tall, which in this case was 9" X 18". I folded it in half to make 2 squares and in half again, so that each section was half a square. this kept things proportional for our panels.

Then I looked up a lot of Peanuts images to get ideas before making a sketch on the paper. I traced the sketch onto plastic, and projected that onto the panels with an old overhead projector. It only takes a few minutes to trace the image (in chalk) before tracing again with black paint. I used this so that my visually impaired students could better see where to paint. My young helpers are legally blind.

I had a can for each primary color, which I used to mix to get as close as I could to the Charles Schutlz color pallet. And then a couple students and I painted like crazy. It was strange to to see one scene covered up little by little by a new one.












We also painted six 2' cubes with coasters, one for each of the main characters to sit upon,
...as well as Snoopy's doghouse, Lucy's Psych office, a big mailbox, and Schroeder's piano. As a huge Peanuts fan myself, I had a lot of fun working on this show and can't wait to see it performed.




2 comments:

  1. [flashed the Spok sign: live long and prosper]

    Greetings, earthling! Can't stay long, done gotta git, Paw ...yet, if I'm a sower, we plant the Seed; if I'm an artist, we write the Word:

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girl passed-away at 17 (<--God calls U.S. home regardless).

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness, as bright as stars for all eternity"
    -Daniel 12:3

    Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you'
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
    See you Upstairs...
    I won't be joining'm in da nasty Abyss where Isis lies
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH

    ReplyDelete
  2. [flashed the Spok sign: live long and prosper]

    Greetings, earthling! Can't stay long, done gotta git, Paw ...yet, if I'm a sower, we plant the Seed; if I'm an artist, we write the Word:

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girl passed-away at 17 (<--God calls U.S. home regardless).

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness, as bright as stars for all eternity"
    -Daniel 12:3

    Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you'
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
    See you Upstairs...
    I won't be joining'm in da nasty Abyss where Isis lies
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH

    ReplyDelete